Insurance customers don't usually access their account or really think about insurance during the course of the year because that's the usual nature of the industry, but when they do they want the ability to access pertinent information as easy and as quick as possible. Since the first dashboard launched in 2016 there has been no look at it and we wanted to simplify access to payments, documents and more. So we built a second iteration to give customers a new onboarding experience so they could clearly understand and access their information from one place.
We wanted to take a user-centered approach to tackle this project, so we waned to firstly understand and accurately define the right challenge to explore and come up with the best solution. The team was made up of cross-functional members with experience ranging from analytics, technology, copywriting and UI. I led the project and UX with governance over interaction and visual-design. The team worked together in the same location over three months. I quickly identified customer needs based on analytical data, explored what worked and what didn't and put together a minimum viable product.
I adopted the process which comprised of: Discovery, Exploration, Creation and Delivery.
I set out to gather customer insights which took about a week. I wanted to know the most important tasks customers did and the specific order of importance they did it in. The team split and tackled data intelligence both quantitative — google analytics and qualitative — fullstory session replays to see how people use the current experience; auditing content; reviewing existing and new design standards. With the insights gathered we identified a design approach that satisfied the relevant pain points, kept business objectives and added a few design principles to our standards.
To understand the tasks to be done coupled with insights gathered we narrowed in on tasks that were most important to customers to in order to improve experience for the second iteration. I started wireframing different ways to show the tasks to be done and enhance existing policy details. We also did a brief design thinking session, identified any possible "missing connections" so we could bring technology up to speed to work out solutions. Based on the ideas we explored we arrived at the best one, created wireframes for the team to review internally and run through a standard launch and learn model.
Insurance applications are usually awkward to use and challenging to find your task. We wanted to make the second iteration digestible so, we grouped tasks into policy and account cards respectively placing all policy related tasks in a policy card and account tasks outside; this way customers could focus on and manage related content especially when there were multiple policies in their account. We also curated customer specific frequently asked questions so that those who needed assistance would be able to find it in one place or be able to view all. Designing the policy card and account card tasks individually allowed us add and modify the cards to as the product scaled.
We worked with the technology team to make sure everything was placed and ready for launch. And addressed any unforeseen issues that reared its head. After launching, we monitored the analytics and session recording data to see how we could scale to add future improvements.